[Stoves] Important Biomass company we've never heard of--and never will, in the third world.

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Thu Oct 20 12:30:39 CDT 2011

Dan,

That kind of splash news just makes me smile: The 'bigger is better'  approach for supplying global markets flops every time when it comes to meeting local solid fuel needs: Why; its just simple economics and sources:  The resources are local, the  skills and technology are designed around bthe local community and the product is competitive locally.  Thousands aroudn the world are producing their own agroresidue based briquette fuel at selling price to the family of about 6 cents per person per day and they are gaining employment and skills in the process. It can be replicated anywhere there is sustained human habitation: no international cargo ships; no trucks no centralised plant. No centralised  ownership, just lots of small entrepreneurs and trainers doing their own thing on site in their own regions with their own versions, feeding their own families and the rest of the network with their insights in the process.  This kind of market based briquette production and training and local equiipent supply is  active in about 46 nations now.

Don't give up Dan. As the all those cargo ship and truck fuel prices inevitably increase, it will only get better.

Richard Stanley
www.legacyfound.org