[Stoves] Important Biomass company we've never heard of--and never will, ...

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Fri Oct 21 04:46:07 CDT 2011

In a message dated 10/20/2011 2:04:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rstanley at legacyfound.org writes:

DD: Dan Dimiduk comments

Dan,

That kind of splash news just makes me smile: The 'bigger is better'
approach for supplying global markets flops every time when it comes to  meeting
local solid fuel needs: Why; its just simple economics and sources:  The
resources are local, the  skills and technology are designed  around bthe local
community and the product is competitive locally.  Thousands aroudn the
world are producing their own agroresidue based  briquette fuel at selling
price to the family of about 6 cents per person per  day and they are gaining
employment and skills in the process. It can be  replicated anywhere there is
sustained human habitation: no international  cargo ships; no trucks no
centralised plant. No centralised  ownership,  just lots of small entrepreneurs
and trainers doing their own thing on site in  their own regions with their
own versions, feeding their own families and the  rest of the network with
their insights in the process.  This kind of  market based briquette
production and training and local equiipent supply is  active in about 46 nations
now.

Don't give up Dan. As the all those cargo ship and truck fuel prices
inevitably increase, it will only get better.

Richard Stanley
_www.legacyfound.org_ (http://www.legacyfound.org/)

DD What gets me is that even though I am listed in the phone book under
"Lot clearing and leveling"  I have not been approached by these people to
market my wood. If you visit their site you will find that they are more of a
wood location service. They are brokers who take a percentage of the
transaction  to hook up big users such as utilities with big producers.
    I wonder how long a producer is tied to their  distribution contract.
Typically in these situations, businesses use the service  to find a customer
and then later terminate the contract and go around the  middle man. There
is a big new pellet producer in south Mississippi who teamed  up with a
company in Europe to expand and ship pellets to the European markets.  As large
as that contract is, I doubt they used a middle man to put it together.

    Dan Dimiduk