[Stoves] Hi TLUDers -- and EPA testing questions

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:48:13 CDT 2011

Dear All

Very useful, Ron. I love real numbers.

The theoretical limit for CO from biomass is about 38.4% (384,000 ppm). One could express the yield in % terms and also remind readers what % that is of the potential.

The 38.4 is twice the value of the CO2 Max for that fuel (typically 19.2% for biomass).

Alex cc stoves list:

  1.  Thanks for the input.   I also have found a case where CO2 exceeded CO content:   see  Fig 3 in
http://ncsu.edu/bioresources/BioRes_04/BioRes_04_3_0946_Wang_CDYZS_Gas_Char_Microwave_Pyrol_Pine_Sawdust_504.pdf

  2.    But in general I have found CO to be (by far) the largest pyrolysis gas output.  See  for instance, Fig 4 at:
  http://www.btgworld.com/uploads/documents/Gasification%20Attachment%20Website%20v2.pdf

     The use of equivalence ratio (used in that figure) could be a very good one for us to try to report.

   3.  I haven't found the right cite yet - but some might like this paper/chapter showing a range of values for CO:
http://nariphaltan.virtualave.net/gasbook.pdf

   4.  I wandered around various gas monitoring equipment web sites - and saw lots on IR approaches. Do you think that is the right one?   I have given up looking for an optimum approach - as there is a huge array out there - and mostly very expensive.  If I had to buy an instrument, I would start by seeing what University researchers report what they are using.  Maybe someone on the list is into this measurement topic.

Ron

  _____