[Stoves] flames touching pot

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 19:40:24 CDT 2011

Dear Frank

It will be difficult to get the temperature of the inside of the pipe with an IR device because the surroundings are going to swamp the outside, given that background of the furnace walls. Note that the one I recommended has a 1:50 beam spread which is a very narrow viewport, which is in your favour.

The idea of sticking a fairly long probe into a second hole is a good one. You will need to get a probe long enough to not be affected by the heat conducted back to the handle. There are wire thermocouples that can handle the temps you are using. The longest I have in a 3mm rod is 12 inches I think. It might not be long enough for oven work L .

Regarding the emissivity of the outside of the pipe – yes it matters. If you were to open the door and get close enough for a 2 second read at a distance that the eye was not picking up background IR, the tube could conceivably be read without a thermocouple inserted into it. The colour matters. Note that the colour matters even if it is glowing bright red. Emissivity is emissivity. So you need to establish what the ɛ value is before you start. It will give off the radiation it is able to throw off. It is true the emissivity changes a bit with temperature but it is not much between 0 and 700. What you view as black or glowing red is just your eyes picking up (or not) radiation in certain frequency ranges. The IR camera sees at different frequencies (hence false-colour photos taken in the IR radiation range. When we look with bare eyes we see nothing, perhaps (like at night). I write this to point out that ɛ remains the same.

The ɛ f black pipe is about 0.9-0.95. Something as low as 0.25 is very shiny like polished aluminum.

Complicated? Well, yes but at least it is possible when a few years ago it was not! Gotta be happy about that!