[Stoves] [biochar-policy] Re: [biochar] Re: Report on APBC - first two days

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 19 12:27:15 CDT 2011

Thanks Ron and Tom for the additional information.

   If the *third APBC meeting* will be in Taiwan, I will definitely want
to be there! :-)

   I have been asked to give a presentation in two [2] weeks about our
proposed /*"5ive-Planets" project*/** in Japan at the /*University of
Toronto*/ as part of the *Science for Peace*
(http://www.scienceforpeace.ca/) "/*Human Security Lecture*/" series.

   I need to gather as much information about the current situation in
Japan for this two [2] hour lecture as I can get my hands on, so I can
understand and accurately communicate the capabilities of the *Japanese
Biochar producers*.

** The "/*5ive-Planets*/" Japan project is right now exploring the idea
of possibly using Biochar to help "Decontaminate" the soils around the
crippled Nuclear reactors in Fukushima, Japan by stimulating soil fungi,
which may be able to "bio-accumulate" radionuclides.
  (If we harvest and destroy/sequester the resulting mushrooms, one
could begin to physically remove the radioactivity from the soils and
allow for future farming in a compressed timeframe. -- It is our hope
that Biochar will help to stimulate the formation of various
"hyper-accumulating mycorrhizae / mushrooms" that would be harvested by
Robots, thus eliminating most of the human interaction with the highly
radioactive mushrooms as they are harvested and disposed of... ~ the
Japanese expertise with Robots would come in handy here).

  It is an idea that began with Dr. Paul Stamets "Nuclear Forest
Recovery Zone" project, and is based on some fairly well-known
Phyto-remediaton techniques that were applied elsewhere.
see:
http://sierrapermaculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/stamets-fallout-mycoremediation.pdf

    We may even be able to utilize the wood debris from the destroyed
buildings and trees in the disaster zone -- chipped, of course.  I am
also curious to see if it might be preferable to */Pyrolyze/* the
mushrooms instead of "Burning the mushrooms" down to "radioactive ash"
(before [safely] disposing of them).  I would expect that the heavy
radioisotopes would not vaporize into the exhaust if /pyrolysis/ was
used, as they might be if the biomass were "incinerated".

  The /*5ive-Planets Foundation*/ (registered in Canada) is also
attempting to raise money so that we can study whether biochar may be
able to prevent radionuclides from getting from the soil and into the
roots of plants [and thus the food chain].
   We expect that because of Biochar's overall "inert" characteristics,
most heavy metals that are bound to the Biochar should help to keep them
in the soil so they would also not get into the plants via the roots. (I
do not think that this has conclusively been shown to be the case for
all radionuclides, however, and thus would likely require some study.)

   In addition to Biochar, the /5ive-Planets/ projects also includes
/*Aquaponics*/ demonstration projects and other activities related to
/*helping the people of the Tohoku area*/ (see map of the area of Japan
affected by the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear contamination, below).
   5ive-Planets will also undertake some studies of a /*biochar/Humic
acid*/*** compound on the *salt-contamined* lowland soils of Tohoku that
were flooded by the tsunami (~ possibly using "lignin Biochar" ~ or some
other locally produced Biochar that can be sourced/produced in Japan. We
might possibly use the "3R Agrocarbon"**** processes developed in
Hungary if the existing Biochar production industry in Japan cannot
produce sufficient quantities, as required).

*** Note: /*bio-oils*/ from *Fast Pyrolysis* also contain /*Humate
Precursors*/ may possibly be able to prevent these non-soluble
radionuclides from being transported from the soil and into roots -- and
ultimately into the plants [and food chain].

****  Edward Someus noted that his *animal bone charcoal biochar* is
"/the most efficient adsorber of radionuclides/" of any other Biochar
(he has tested). (Edward has worked on projects for Chernobyl.)

*"Sunflower Project"*
   Another proposal has been to use Biochar-embedded "seedballs*" to get
millions of sunflower seeds into the contaminated areas around the
crippled Nuclear power stations.
*("Seedballs" are an idea of /*Masanobu Fukuoka*/ of Japan:
http://www.onestrawrevolution.net/MasanobuFukuoka.htm)

    Scientists at the /*Centre for Pesticides and Environmental
Research*/ in Yugoslavia had studied the growth and uranium uptake in
sunflowers, soybeans and maize crops. The sunflowers were found to have
the fastest growth rate and highest concentration of uranium, making
them an excellent and fast "soil-cleaning" crop.
  There has been a proposition that we place the seeds into "clay
projectiles".  These balls could then be fired into the "radioactive
zone" using "air guns".  When they land the should embed themselves into
the soils, and from there they would hopefully sprout. We could probably
also inoculate the Seedball projectiles with mycorrhizae to help
facilitate and accelerate the formation of fungal communities.
   The seedballs might also be dropped from above**,  akin to "carpet
bombing"... a project that the /*Japanese Self Defence Forces*/ could
probably undertake. (Shortly after the accident it was originally the
Self-Defense Forces that were mobilized to inject sea water into the
reactors and spent fuel pools. They were so good at it that "/the
injected water started piling up within reactor buildings, creating a
mass of water contaminated with huge amounts of radiation. The water
began to leak from the damaged containment vessels and piping/".
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110910p2a00m0na008000c.html)

  We know that Sunflowers can grow very well in Biochar amended soils.
Nikoluas Foidl in Brazil was getting 32 cm sunflower heads using
windrowed /*Terra Preta Nova*/, which also included torrefied wood -- a
kind of "/hugelkultur/". The soils were also "colonized" by using small
applications of *salycylic acid* in the biochar in order to stimulate
natural soil fungal hyphae growth.

   Sunflowers might only be the "first crop", however, because while
sunflowers do absorb Uranium, it may not be uranium we need to be
concerned about.  (We need to explore all of the "U-daughters", some of
which are probably not water soluble and will therefore be quite
difficult -- if not impossible -- to remove from the soil using known
phytoremediation pathways because they will likely remain bound up to
the humus - or the biochar).
   (Personally, I would like to see if water soluble /*carbon
nanotubes*/ or other /porous nanomaterials/ [produced from Biochar
feedstocks] might work to help sequester the more difficult
radionuclides. (Single-walled carbon nanotubes have already been created
from pyrolysis chars.)
   We may need to look at all of the radioactive elements released --
including their physical and radioisotope properties and the mechanisms
of transportation through ecosystems -- to fully understand what it is
we need to do. A "literature search" for Chernobyl remediation might be
useful [has there really been much of /any/? - the more cost-effective
path for the Ukraine is likely to just keep people out of the area].)

   The big problem in Japan is that unless one plans on either
*permanently abandoning the area* (the Japanese government has already
set up a 20km "exclusion zone" -- for Chernobyl it is 30km), or digging
all of the soil out and replacing it with uncontaminated soil (at huge
expense), as long as the U daughters remain actively decaying (and
therefore radioactive) the thousands of farmers around the Fukushima
power stations will not be able to return.

  The fact that good land is already at a premium in Japan means that
abandoning the land is not really an option (in the long term).
Returning to the area is also not an option if it remains contaminated
by highly radioactive isotopes since the farmers would not be able to
sell any of the food that they grow as long as their is a chance that it
is also contaminated.

   Attempts at *large-scale soil decontamination* is probably the only
long-term option in Japan.

P.S. Rob Flanagan told me (in May if this year) that he "/no longer
works in the field of biochar/", and so I suspect if he is still in Asia
that he is not doing any kind of Biochar projects anymore. [?]

P.P.S. I would also be interested in connecting with the *PhD forester
from Mongolia *since "5ivePlanets" is already considering expanding into
Mongolia, where /*very large*/ projects utilizing Biochar to help with
reforestation/afforestation could probably be done.  Dr. Stamets would
likely be very interested in that project as well ~ we could probably
"carpet bomb" millions of his "LifeBoxes" over vast areas of
unproductive steppe after having innoculated these vast areas with a
Biochar/fungal substrate... [?]
(This type of terrestrial re-vegetation project would, of course, be
done as a means of */Climate Change mitigation/* -- it would be a type
of "/Natural Geo-engineering/" that should hopefully not stir up the
same type of controversy that other scientists (and crackpots) have
proposed to "geoengineer" the world’s climate -- schemes like
"stratospheric aerosol injections" or "sunshades in space"...)

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   603-48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754; 647-886-8754 (cell)
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee member, Canadian Biochar Initiative
   President, Co-founder&  CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
     Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://grassrootsintelligence.blogspot.com
    www.biochar.ca

Biochar Offsets Group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
"Necessity may be the mother of invention, but innovators need to address problems before they become absolute necessities..."