[Stoves] Combining stoves, bioliquidfuels, and Biochar - Possible for all together?

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 10 23:00:27 CDT 2012

Ron,

   I have also corresponded quite extensively with Mr. Harry Stokes a
couple of years ago at about the time I was supporting Nathaniel Mulcahy
and his initial Stove project work in Haiti after the earthquake.

   Harry had noted at the time that 3 billion liters of hydrous ethanol
are traded through the Caribbean from Brazil every year, yet he had
noted that there are a number of major ethanol producers in Central
America and the Caribbean who are constrained to consistently
under-produce because of the want of a market.

   He noted that " /If these countries could produce and sell into a
domestic stove fuel market, they could again produce for a market that
would justify a robust agricultural base.With a healthy agricultural
sector and the application of best practices, they could rebuild their
soils and croplands, which now lie fallow./"
  (This was Harry's "Build Back Better" approach... as was being
promoted by Bill Clinton after the earthquake: a pathway to
sustainability for Haiti.)

   At the time I was also in conversation with Roger Samson of REAP
Canada, and I had suggested to Mr. Stokes that he might also wish to
consider using Agave was as the feedstock for producing liquid fuels
(ethanol etc), which, according to Arturo Velez, can produce 3X more
sugars than sugarcane, while thriving on drylands / "marginal land" (it
thrives with only 190mm of rain per year and can produce very high
yields with very low or no inputs) and could potentially achieve massive
production due to year-around harvesting and World-wide geographical
distribution (Drylands cover about 40% of the Earth's surface; >60
million square Km, @ ~20% of US territory and >75% of Mexico).
   [Harry had suggested Sweet sorghum instead since it is a dryland crop
that builds soil fertility very effectively. ~ I believe that he was
also working with the International Institute for Ecological Agriculture
(IIEA) and looking into other 'dryland' feedstocks such as Giant
Milkweed and Prosopis (mesquite).]

   While Harry was working with a core team of developers to raise
capital for a business that would essentially mass produce small,
efficient, simple but highly engineered "micro distilleries" (for places
like Haiti), I had noted that the leftover "bagasse" from these
distilleries could also be used to make Biochar.

   I had originally suggested that the enormous amounts of bagasse that
result from the production of sustainable alcohols from drylands
feedstocks could be processed in such a way as to produce other liquid
fuels (bio-oils) industrially (in systems such as those produced by
companies like Agritherm, ABRI Tech or Ensyn) -- such that massive
quantities of both bio-oil and Biochar could be produced (and
sequestered)...   however, if CPB could also convert this bagasse into
another type of liquid fuel (the 'N100' that could in turn be used in
engines and other types of bio-liquid fuel stoves), we could truly
achieve very substantial "carbon negativity".

Regards,

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754
   CELL: 647-886-8754
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee coordinator
   Canadian Biochar Initiative (CBI)
   President, Co-founder&  CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
   Partner of Toronto Urban Ag Summit! www.urbanagsummit.org
   See also: http://www.facebook.com/UrbanAgSummit
   Manager, Biochar Offsets Group:
            http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
    Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://www.biocharontario.ca
    www.biochar.ca

"The history of every nation is eventually written in the way it cares for its soil."
  - Franklin D. Roosevelt