[Stoves] "stove-acceptance" of char-making [TLUD] stoves.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 23:54:39 CST 2012

Dear Paul

Quick note, not time to elaborate:

If the session materialises, please include the topic of testing these
stoves so that reliable and relevant metrics are established and the methods
of accurately obtaining them discussed, at least in outline form. This
relates to the testing topic(s) Jim Jetter and I are discussing on this site
for reasons which you well understand already.

Thanks

Crispin in Maseru

++++

Dear Leslie and all Stovers, especially those with interest in char-making
stoves,

(also being sent one time to the Biochar Listserv (yahoogroups) for their
comments also.)

Leslie raises a valid question:

Should the various issues about "making of char in cookstoves" be a topic at
the GACC Forum?

For THAT I can fully agree with.   One or two presentations, or maybe an
open session.   That aspect of the session/presentation would be a natural
fit with discussions of TLUD gasifiers and any other devices that can
intentionally produce char.

And when that char will be burned in improved charcoal stoves, it becomes
doubly interesting for the stoves conference.

Mention can certainly be made that the produced char could also be used as
"biochar"  (char destined  put into soils).

Here I raise the questions:
Which of the biochar (BIOchar) aspects can or should be presented at the
Stoves Forum?

To what extent should they be emphasized?

And who will be in attendance at the Forum for such discussions?

__I__ intend to be at the Forum and will be speaking (if selected to be a
presenter) about TLUD stoves that "make charcoal that can be burned or used
as biochar".   My current thinking is that I will request to present about
the latest developments of the TChar variation of TLUD stoves, and in those
stoves the charcoal is consumed by burning.   I will mention the biochar
prospects and can answer questions that could arise about biochar, but there
will not be more than a minute of two for BIOchar comments.

Please speak up about "biochar as a topic at a stove Forum".   And do say if
you plan to be there in mid March.