[Stoves] What really gets me 'pissed'

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 09:40:36 CST 2012

Dear George

It is not that the author is selling it.

Often a paper is available on a more private (small) website. One way to get
a recent paywalled paper is to write to the author (link usually available
on the abstract page) and they will happily send you a PDF. That response is
common. All they want is that you agree not to make money out of
distributing it. That is because they have a deal with the publisher
(usually a journal) not to allow it, but they are free to let people read
it.

You can get an academic friend to send you a copy on the same terms (they
have free access through the Univ library).

I have never paid to read a paper nor did I make money trading in them.

If you are active on a popular blog you can ask where to get a relevant
paper and someone will pop up with a link, no questions asked.

There is a movement to make all papers public, but charge the authors to
print them instead (to support the journals).

___________

You narrow your search terms to get the 'exact' match for what you want
information about and there seems to be a 'perfect' match, but it's not open
source , so you face a dilemma of paying up to $100 for a paper on something
you may already know; .... or does it open a doorway?

The likes of Elsevier are stifling research with their 'you gotta pay to get
this paper' IMHO.

Researching the best approach for a project I have in mind would probably be
easier if I had access to those that have done it before, but paying maybe
$1000 in research puts it out of my league.

Why can't these be made public domain when they are often funded by public
money?