[Stoves] Construction of an End-Lit Cross-Draft Mongolian stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 09:54:17 CST 2012

Dear Cross-Drafting Friends

I have placed a set of photos with long names on the site
http://www.newdawnengineering.com/website/library/Stoves/end-lit_cross-draft
_mongolian_stove/ showing how to modify a standard stove to burn in an ELCD
mode.

With coal the reduction in PM2.5 emissions compared with the baseline is 80%
(which is the same stove lit in a conventional manner without the tube).

It is also a very good wood stove with the modification. The tube serves the
same function as a cone or donut plate on an updraft stove: bringing the
smoke into contact with the flame. The advantage of a tube is it contains
the combustion long enough to burn most of the particles and CO. Alex
English used this principle for the Cheater pellet burner and I was
encouraging him to make it longer.

The reason the tube is short in the example above is because of limited
space though it can be thought of as secondary burn whilst Alex's requires
space for a primary burn. The same tube idea is used in the BLDD5 and 6 at
SeTAR. They are downdraft coal stoves. I have observed flames reaching 20
inches into the tube. It raises a number of questions about super-clean
designs we might make in addition to this one.