[Stoves] Energy supply and use in a rural West African village

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Jun 2 13:11:51 CDT 2012

Mark,

During your work in Mali did you see efforts by Chris Reij and the Africa
Regreening Initiative (ARI)? http://africa-regreening.blogspot.com/

We understand that over the last 40 years work by Tony Rinaudo, (World
Vision, Australia) and Reij to develop Farmer Managed Natural Regeneration
(FMNR) has been successful in parts of Mali and neighboring countries in the
Sahel. You may have met Mary Allen Ballo of Sahel Eco
http://www.saheleco.net/about/who.htm  and ARI.

See: Against the Odds: Reversing desertification in Arid and Semi-Arid lands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm_qlyvdZ_A

http://permaculture.org.au/2011/10/03/tony-rinaudo-against-the-odds-reversin
g-desertification-in-arid-and-semi-arid-lands-ipc-presentation-video/

These locally managed agroforestry techniques improve agriculture and fuel
supply. I wonder how much impact these agroforestry strategies could have on
energy use in a village like yours.  This relates to Crispin's question
about sustained yield per ha.

Tom