[Stoves] moving warm air

David G. LeVine dlevine at speakeasy.net
Sun Jun 17 15:16:28 CDT 2012

On 06/17/2012 10:35 AM, John Davies wrote:
> I tried blowing cold air into the room at ground level, with a
> standard room fan. This made the room more comfortable, and forced
> warm  air into the passage way. This is not practical, and the fan
> mentioned uses a fair amount of power.

Another approach is to use convection to do the job.

Assume a hot chimney (a likely condition when the stove is running.)
Putting an air to air heat exchanger (just a second chimney touching the
first with some good contact) will cause convection to circulate air.
Use ductwork to vent into the hallway.  The chimney pipe will need to be
"single wall" for better heat transfer and MUST be gas tight.  Soldering
is probably a good choice, as is welding and brazing.  Welding, however,
means either TIG (GTAW) on stainless or some way to guarantee no burn
through.  A good aerospace or nuclear TIG welder can do these welds all
day with NO problems.

As a structure, having the inner "pipes" inside a larger oval cylinder
filled with pearlite or rockwool tends to concentrate the heat and
improve flow.  Always vent the lowest point in this case, or you will
have a nice bomb, or a heat exchanger partially filled with water.

There is no reason you can't add a water coil to the mechanism, and use
the warm water to reduce your hot water costs.

While not as effective as a good fan, it is less power intensive and may
be sufficient.

Since warm air rises, and the tubing and air will be at room temperature
before the stove starts heating, the air in the tube should try to rise
initially, bringing in cold air.  The hot air should be able to go
through the duct to the hall and will help the circulation as the duct
heats.

Look up Heatilators, my father had one in his home in New Jersey in the
1950's and it really worked well.  It was a wood burning version, newer
technology burns gas.

Admittedly, it could rust out, and represent a CO issue, but that is
also true of air furnaces.  Using an air|liquid|flue_gasses setup is
safER, but not "damned fool proof", it still requires either a
willingness to do due diligence or a death wish.

Dave  8{)
--
/"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream

NOTE TO ALL:

When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for
all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding
history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and
others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the
world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses
and viruses from being propagated.

THANK YOU!