[Stoves] [biochar-policy] Re: Stoves

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Mon Jun 25 23:36:13 CDT 2012

Charge what the market will bear for a product that is proven and works within the framework of our overall sustainability on the shared space we call the planet earth. Everything one does has value. If you don't respect that, give it away for free and teach others to give their products away for free too. That will last about as long as the batteries in your camera taking pictures of the "successful project" you started…

There is no such thing as a "poor person". There indeed is poverty of respect for what they potentially represent, as actualized human beings.   Poverty of political systems or larger institutions that lose sight of the individual;  poverty of religious and other spiritual belief systems which agglomerate them as "sheep in a flock" etc…and poverty of value systems that restrict their natural capacity to think and adapt to their own environments by feeding them and creating dependence (in other than of course emergency situations) on an ongoing basis, under the guise of "development".

One does not do "good for":  One does "good within". You have value in your labor and fit into a reality of things with value:

Back to Sacapulas and other fascinating things of northern Guatemala.

Richard Stanley
www.legacyfound.org

On Jun 25, 2012, at 5:19 PM, Andrew C. Parker wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:23:41 -0600, <rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:

> I find the idea that stoves must only be sold, and that all stoves must include a profit rent, to be a true perversion.

Jock,

That is fine utopian philosophizing, but realistically, is everyone supposed to build their own improved stove?  Specialization exists even at the village level.  Is the village stove maker supposed to build stoves for free?

Profit is payment to the risk taker (the entrepreneur, the investor), just as one pays for labor, goods or money.  How is that a perversion?