[Stoves] [biochar] Heat from combustion of TLUD gases with char remaining

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Nov 4 16:10:52 CST 2012

Two lists, Paul, Crispin , Hugh

Below is one way to answer Paul's question more fully on the energy content of the pyrolysis gas stream.

To Crispin's example, I add two more important (measurable) variables: X, the char yield (%w/w), and MC, the moisture content (%)

Paul is being generous in urging use of no more than two significant figures. We may be lucky to get one with confidence. As Tom Miles has just pointed out, the energy content of the char can vary a lot - especially if there is a lot of ash content (which depends on the species as well as the max pyrolysis temperature. But you see 30 MJ/kg a lot for low ash material - and that is assumed here.

Rather than using moisture content MC as a useful variable, in order to see the trends most easily, I assume unit increments in the initial (now moist) biomass fuel input energy content (Y in MJ/kg), starting with 18 MJ/kg for bone dry material. It would have been just as easy to vary moisture content by 5% or so for each row - but then it would be harder to see the smooth variations that exist when you start with the "nice" numbers 30 and 18 MJ/kg..

The basic equation for the upper matrix entries is Z1= Y - 30 * X(%); That for the lower char energy entries is Z2 = 30 * X(%). This last is (perhaps surprising until you think about it) independent of the input moisture content.

Obviously, the energy difference from the initial 18 MJ/kg for various moisture contents comes from the moisture in wet fuel not providing any energy.

I have not shown entries in the upper left and lower right - as they are not realistic. Since we mostly/often don't know either the moisture content or the yield very accurately, this below is only to help one get in the right ballpark.

For sure, we should not use any single constant number for all fuels and pyrolysis processes for the energy content in the pyrolysis gases coming from one kg of fuel. I show in bold below, in the middle of the upper matrix, gas energy densities that are probably often seen. Repeating, for emphasis: these are values for an initial 1 kg of (generally not dry, and not much ash content) fuel with two major simplifying (but pretty accurate) assumptions of 18 and 30 MJ/kg for the fuel and char - and both are assumed bone dry.

Ron

	Matrix of Pyrolysis Gas Energy (MJ/kg wet biomass) for six possible moisture (%, in rows) and five possible char yields (%, in columns)

	Char yield (%W); char energy of 30MJ/kg
	Moisture % 	Fuel Energy MJ/kg 	15% 	20% 	25% 	30% 	35%
	0.0% 	18

	10.5 	9 	7.5
	5.6% 	17
	11 	9.5 	8 	6.5
	11.1% 	16 	11.5 	10 	8.5 	7 	5.5
	16.7% 	15 	10.5 	9 	7.5 	6 	4.5
	22.2% 	14 	9.5 	8 	6.5 	5

	27.8% 	13 	8.5 	7 	5.5

	Matrix of Char Energy (MJ/kg wet biomass) for six possible moisture (%, in rows) and five possible char yields (%, in columns)

	Char yield (%W); char energy of 30MJ/kg
	Moisture % 	Fuel Energy MJ/kg 	15% 	20% 	25% 	30% 	35%
	0.0% 	18

	7.5 	9 	10.5
	5.6% 	17
	6 	7.5 	9 	10.5