[Stoves] Burning Char

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 23:27:56 CDT 2012

Dear Stovers,
charcoal contains many substances other than carbon. Iron used to be
extracted in ancient India using charcoal, which reduced the iron oxide to
metallic iron. The minerals in the charcoal got mixed with the iron to
impart special characteristics to the iron. We have an iron pillar in New
Delhi, which was erected some 1600 years ago. It has still not rusted.
Crispin sent me an article about this pillar and it says in the article
that this pillar had iron having a high phosphorus content. They have even
named the plant from which the charcoal was deriv. The spontaneous
combustion of char, reported by Frank, could be due to elemental phosphorus
in the charcoal.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--