[Stoves] Straw roofs and fires

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Sat Oct 20 13:22:30 CDT 2012

Dear Stovers,

One thing I have been thinking about.

Lets see -  we have an open fire on the floor where the smoke goes up and
through a straw roof. Where the soot and tars condense and collect coating
the straw with an oily like highly flammable coating. There must be roof
fires that are very dangerous and fast burning and where flaming straw comes
falling down. Do they happen? And when they do I would think the sparks
would start other roofs on fire and the entire village would go up in smoke.
And then the scarcity of available water to put them out. I would think this
would be a huge problem but no one ever mentions about the fires.

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields

Control Laboratories, Inc.