[Stoves] Fwd: [biochar] Used Tractors ...biochar on homestead

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 21 10:02:32 CDT 2012

Thanks for copying me on this response, Crispin.

   I am also very happy whenever I hear of yet another "success story"
with "undifferentiated Biochar" produced from small gasifier "stoves"
and used in crop production.  Of course, the Biochar is almost never
used _/alone/_, but is used alongside other amendments ["different
formulations"] like "mulch, compost, crushed bone, crushed coral, lava
dust, and generally any animal and green waste"...
  (My most recent conversations I am having had to do with the
complimentary use of "rock dust" ~ a.k.a. "agrominerals" and Biochar ...
The use of 'agrominerals' is a technique that [unknown to me until
recently] has actually been honed by many folks at the /University of
Guelph/ over the past several decades.  With Biochar one should be able
to create high quality inoculated bio-chars that help to "free" the
agrominerals [rock dust] of their 'nutrients' at a more accelerated rate.)

   I have always felt that the role of Biochar was to "even out the soil
moisture retention capabilities of the soils". I actually expressed this
exact sentiment to David Laird -- and others -- personally at the first
North American Biochar conference in 2009 in Colorado, though it was not
in those terms exactly.  What I had found remarkable was the ability of
Biochar placed into my CLAY soils to actually help my [potted] plants
survive (induced) "drought" -- a totally counter-intuitive outcome.
  I had suggested that it was likely the /nature/ of the "water-holding
ability" of Biochar that was the benefit: i.e. the ability of the chars
to hold onto water, but not too "tightly" ~ which thus allows the water
to be fairly easily 'unbound' from the char surfaces by the root systems
and fungi and other living fractions of the soils.  (The same is likely
true for the relationship between chars and many 'nutrients'...)

  As I also wrote recently in an unrelated thread, "I actually suspect
that by combining... (all of these other things) with Biochar (and "soil
microbes/fungi" etc), that we might be *making our lives **_/easier/_*
[rather than more complicated] -- in terms of actually achieving
"fertility benefits" through the addition of these amendments...
Although the */science/* of actually 'teasing it all apart' to
understand _/exactly/_ what is going on in terms of the complex
interactions that are taking place between the soils, minerals, plants
and biology will probably get _*more* complicated_ and thus more
expensive/difficult to perform.
   In my mind, this complexity does _not_ /necessarily/ mean that we
will not be able to achieve /*quicker results*/ in terms of "food
security" ~ and Climate security [mostly via /adaptation/], however.

  As I concluded, I wrote that, "a LOT more learning needs to be done to
understand the various influences all of these amendments are actually
having on the soils and the biology -- and the best techniques for how
to restore 'balance', 'vibrancy' and perhaps also (some modicum of)
'stability' to the LIVING FRACTION of the soils -- especially from the
additions of Biochar."

   As David Yarrow wrote once, "/ultimately, this Biochar thing isn't
really about chemistry or carbon; it's about *biology*/".
Don't forget: Nature offers us some extraordinary design solutions --
honed by 3.8 billion years of rigorous testing.
  To me, what Biochar is really all about is our attempts at >making
permanent *humus*< _/faster/_. Humus is an amazing soil conditioner.
Only 5% humus can transform lifeless 'rock dust' into a rich loam.  It
has abilities to both bind sand and granulate clay.

  Have you watched the film, "/HUMUS: Forgotten Climate Aid/"?
   The film documents the use of Biochar to help, "unravel the secret of
/sustainably fertile soil/ and find solutions for building up humus".
(The film documents the many years of work that have been done in the
Styrian "Eco-region of Kaindorf" [Germany], and features many notable
Biochar proponents like Dr. Christoph Steiner and others who use
"agrocraft"** -- to build "targeted humus" ~ even in relatively Fertile
soils. [!] )

** Agrokraft GmbH was created by the /Bavarian Farmers Association/ to
explore concepts and technologies like hydro-thermal carbonization
(HTC), with the support of the /*Max Planck Institute for Colloids and
Interfaces*/ in Potsdam (near Berlin).

  "Agrokraft" is also often referred to as "/Climatefarming/" ~ an
attempt at reproducing "Terra Preta-like" soils.

Regards,

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754
   CELL: 647-886-8754
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee coordinator
   Canadian Biochar Initiative (CBI)
   President, Co-founder & CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
   National Office, Canadian Carbon Farming Initiative (CCFI)
   Partner of Toronto Urban Ag Summit www.urbanagsummit.org
   Manager, Biochar Offsets Group:
            http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
    Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://www.biocharontario.ca
    www.biochar.ca

"It is the path, more than the arrival at the destination, that is important"
  - Gandhi