[Stoves] Very small stoves and reheating food

Joyce Lockard rj.lockard at frontier.com
Sun Oct 21 17:19:00 CDT 2012

I lived in a tropical country and had an employer-provided fridge and
freezer but no electricity for about six months. (I did store food supplies
in both, as they kept insects out of the cornflakes etc.)  Since I was
working as well as my husband, I got into the habit of buying meat in the
market on the way home from work and making a meat and vegetable dish that
would be enough for two meals (usually a kind of stew because the meat from
the market was pretty tough).  We would take out what we wanted for our
supper and then I would boil up the rest of it up again, leaving the lid on
the pot and letting it sit 24 hours before we reheated and consumed the
second half.   The idea that food kept at room temperature will go bad
quickly is widely believed by people who have never had the experience of
coping with lack of refrigeration, but it can be done safely even when the
temperatures are in the 80s overnight.

I believe many people living in the tropics cook enough rice or sweet
potatoes or cassava for the evening meal so there will be left-overs for a
cold breakfast. They would likely welcome a small device that would offer a
quick way to reheat the food so breakfast could be warm. However, in the
poorest communities there may not be alcohol for sale for fuel, and a single
burner kerosene stove and the fuel may be beyond their means.

I know that in some communities in a country where I spent about three
months, some husbands spend their evenings drinking with their male friends.
When they go home, drunk, and find their supper cold, they may abuse the
wife physically as well as verbally. A CHEAP alcohol stove would be a great
help for those wives (IF alcohol for fuel were available).  There is another
appropriate technology alternative (not my idea):  use a "hay box" or
"basket" to keep the cooked food warm. Make a storage container (wooden box
or woven basket or even a carton) with the sides and bottom consisting of
walls insulated with thick pads or bags of straw or dry grass. Put a pot of
hot food into the central space and cover it with another insulating bag of
straw or grass. That kind of hay box can keep a hot pot of food warm for
hours. But I must say that I never saw any women actually using one.

Joyce Lockard

rj.lockard at frontier.com