[Stoves] The Art of Using Grass Bundles in TLUD Stoves

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 07:19:46 CDT 2013

Hello Stovers;

Thanks for all the excellent advice on using wheat straw as a fuel.
I ran some tests over the weekend, and I have summarized the results
with photos in an attached pdf.

The problem is that compact straw is good heat insulator and resists
convection by air.  So it is difficult to sustain the momentum of a
gasification reaction in the neighborhood of 700 C or more.

What I did was to compact straw into a paint can, but with a
cylindrical hole up the middle, then lit the straw at the bottom of
the hole.  This was successful in paint cans, but not when I scaled up
to a 30 US-gallon drum, because the linear distance for convection of
oxygen and heat became too great.  So, next weekend I will have to do
some more mucking around.

I will let you know how I get on in a week or so.

All the best,
Julien

--
Julien Winter