[Stoves] Airflow For Biomass Fired Appliances- Natural Draft Stoves

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 13:53:38 CDT 2013

Dear Lanny,

Hope you get better soon!

Here are the design principles I use to tune a stove (same for Rocket,
TLUD, Fan stoves).

I imagine that to get clean combustion all of the gases and smoke are
forced to enter the flame.

Then the gases and smoke stay in the flame long enough to be burned up.

The very hot yellow/white flames easily make black carbon.

The less hot deeper yellow/red flames make less/no black carbon.

Draft is decreased or increased until the right amount of gas and smoke is
delivered to the flame for the right amount of time.

Draft has a lot to do with the correct metering of fuel (gas and smoke)
into the flame: how fast gas and smoke is made and how much flame is made.
I think we want lots of flame but only the right metered amount of gas and
flame to enter the flame.

Lengthening the time for combustion in the flame is good when: the metering
of fuel stays right,  the air/fuel ratio stays right, and losses through
the stove body do not increase too much (good insulation.)

Flame is needed to combust smoke and gas.

Something like that.

Best,

Dean