[Stoves] Last? Alternative to Charcoal

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Fri Apr 26 09:44:26 CDT 2013

Dear Ron
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ron
  To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves ; Kevin
  Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:37 PM
  Subject: Re: [Stoves] Last? Alternative to Charcoal

  List. Cc Kevin

    Sorry, no apologies on this one.

  # I did not ask for an apology. I was simply commenting on what I feel is your inappropriate approach to dealing with issues.

    The issue on the table is whether char-making stoves have an important connection to AGW.

  # No. This is the Stoves List, and the issues is how biochar relates to stoves.

  Since you and a few others disagree and continue to try to distance the two topics,

  # "Stoves" and "AGW" are two very separate issues, and there may, or may not, be an overlap.  If there was no AGW Issue, there would still be Stoves. I feel it is very important to understand the issues of each separately, so that "areas of overlap" can be discovered and used most advantageously. "Stoves" and "AGW" should rise or fall on their own merits. It is very wrong to evaluate Stoves only INSIDE the context of AGW, in that the results of such evaluations may, and probably will be, be misleading or incorrect OUTSIDE the context of AGW. Please do not lose sight of the fact that the primary purpose of Stoves is cooking and/or heating.

  I think it valid to ask if it is because you/they are a climate denier?

  # Firstly, please define specifically what you mean by "climate denier".  Secondly, if "True Science" is employed in "Stove Testing", then a "Climate Denier"(?) and a "Climate Believer"(?) should get  identical results. Alternatively, should there perhaps be two Stove Testing Protocols... one for "Climate Believers"(?) and one for "Climate Deniers"(?)?

    ( Kevin and I have had off- list discussions, but he is free to say otherwise anytime on his AGW views.)

  # We may have had off-list discussions, but when I searched my files, I could not find them. Would you be kind enough to reference them by date, and by relevance to the issue at hand? Additionally, while you are searching your files, I would kindly ask you to find evidence to justify your statements, or issue a public retraction as called for in my posting to the Stoves List on 4/24/2013 at 11:31 AM ADT, as follows:

  ===>(RWL)  3.  Many of us have been promoting char-making stoves for individual (not societal) non-energy reasons that you also state need not be considered
         -  able to save money through sale or use of the char
         -  save time and money by using closer non-wood fuels
         -  cleaner kitchen (and neighborhood outdoor-air) environment, so lower health-related costs
         -  save time by less fire tending

  # I think it is about time for you to make a Public Retraction. Please show the List where I said that the above factors do not need to be considered, or retract your erroneous statement.

  I would comment that I have supported Paul Oliver with his Proposal to utilize char making stoves in Vietnam. I am 100% supportive of the use of char making stoves where they are appropriate and where the Customer wants them. Equally, I am 100% against char making stoves where they are inappropriate and when they do not best serve the Customer's needs.

  I await your Public Retraction of your erroneous statement.. <===

     To me it is important to try to educate deniers, and analyze their reasons for denial. I just can't comprehend such a view in 2013.

  # Perhaps you, as a "believer"(?) cannot understand the concerns of "deniers"(?) because you have a fixed belief that you your beliefs are the only ones that are correct. If your "beliefs" are based on "Consensus Science", rather than "Real Science", your "beliefs" may be faulted.  The late Margaret Thatcher had a strong view about consensus. She called it:
  "The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects."

  # Scientific Truth has no need for "consensus."

  Kevin

  Ron