[Stoves] The Art of Using Grass BRIQUETTES in TLUD Stoves

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 07:08:40 CDT 2013

Dear stovers;

I am looking again to benefit from your wisdom.

How well do briquettes made of crop residues perform in TLUD stoves,
and how well do they make biochar?

In the recent discussion "The Art of Using Grass Bundles in TLUD
Stoves", one of the participants suggested that I make straw and grass
briquettes, and referred me to the Legacy Foundation website.
http://www.legacyfound.org/

Of course, the preferred choice is to use pellets in stoves, but for
some people, pellets could be a bit expensive.  Briquettes look like a
good compromise between uncompressed crop residues and pellets, if
they can be made using low-cost equipment that doesn't require
electricity.

What is the experience of stove researchers with briquettes?  Do they
burn cleanly and efficiency in TLUD stoves?   Are they a bit bulky for
cookstoves?  Do they make biochar, or do they turn to ash as they burn
in from the outside?

Thanks for your advice,
Julien.

--