[Stoves] The Art of Using Grass BRIQUETTES in TLUD Stoves

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 10:43:54 CDT 2013

[Default] On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 08:08:40 -0400,Julien Winter
<winter.julien at gmail.com> wrote:

>Of course, the preferred choice is to use pellets in stoves, but for
>some people, pellets could be a bit expensive.  Briquettes look like a
>good compromise between uncompressed crop residues and pellets, if
>they can be made using low-cost equipment that doesn't require
>electricity.
>
>What is the experience of stove researchers with briquettes?  Do they
>burn cleanly and efficiency in TLUD stoves?   Are they a bit bulky for
>cookstoves?  Do they make biochar, or do they turn to ash as they burn
>in from the outside?

The briquetting is Richard's bag and I expect he will reply. To say
that pellets "could be a bit expensive" is an understatement for those
people that the Legacy Foundation teaches how to utilise crop residues
as a cooking fuel. Essentially the process is a bit like making
papiere mache from residues that has started to decompose, the fibres
separate and then mesh together in a simple wet press. Other wastes
like sawdust and charcoal fines can be entrained in the mesh of fibres
to bulk the briquette and often in crease the energy content. They
then dry in the sun.

Yes they do burn TLUD

http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/node/185

Have a search on Kobus Ventner and Rok Oblak at this site as they have
a wealth of experience making briquette burning stoves.

AJH