[Stoves] TLUD Use - Vietnam study

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 09:47:56 CDT 2013

Dear Paul and All

It may be worth keeping your eye on the Mongolian home stove replacement
program by MCC (Millennium Challenge Corp) which ends in September though
will be continued by the Ulaanbaatar City government. It has replaced
something like 100,000 stoves with a value in the range of $15m so far.
Almost all of them are TLUD's.

The % improvement in combustion efficiency and emissions reduction of PM, BC
and CO has been greater for coal burning stoves than for any other device
and it has not received the attention that it deserves. The performance
improvement was not accidental - meaning it is the result of an iterative
process of testing and analysis.

It is unfortunate in the extreme that these stoves were not included in the
Stove Inventory because they indicate the level of performance which can be
achieved with scientific testing and sound design advice.

The fuels being used are more difficult to deal with than wood or wood
pellets yet they have achieved much better performance so I think it is
remiss for the TLUD promoters not to be on top of this situation. I don't
think there is another improved stove programme currently going on with $15m
work of product already on the street.

The project is about to step up a gear to include the low pressure water
heating stoves and mass wall heaters both of which were left in abeyance by
the urgency to deal with ger stoves. The organisations involved are
numerous, but I will mention the highest profile being:

The City of Ulaanbaatar

MCC/MCA Mongolia (USA)

Asian Development Bank

World Bank

Xac Bank (pronounced 'khass')

Accomplishments: The reduction in CO is >70% and in PM+BC >90%. There are
fuel consumption reduction benefits though this has been secondary to air
quality in terms of the main goals.

There are >150,000 home stoves in use in the city plus thousands of other
combustors. A complete transition from conventional combustors to advanced
ones will take a few more years. There are two designs that have proven to
be truly worthy of dissemination: crossdraft burners (which can be hopper
fed) and batch-loaded TLUD's. Both are capable of a 99% reduction in PM and
I believe BC which forms a great fraction of it.

++++++++

Dear Stephen,

Your research with 100 households is highly important.   But I hope that
some of your key results on usage will be made available soon.   To wait
until the end of the year to maybe have peer-review publication before we
see the results is a looooong time.

Just knowing the trends or "favorable" vs "unfavorable" will help.