[Stoves] TLUD Use - Mongolia

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 29 11:13:26 CDT 2013

Crispin and all,

Wonderful news about TLUDs in Mongolia!!!!!!!!   My notes:

1.  In general, we Stovers do not know much about the Mongolia
activities because there has been precious little information coming to
us from the people doing the project. (Interpretation:  We know that you
are busy, but do not blame us for not knowing about or discussing the
Mongolia stove efforts.  )

2.  Although TLUD stoves are generally focused on dry biomass fuels,
CLEAN BURNING of COAL is certainly acceptable in my book.
(Interpretation:   We could certainly embrace coal as TLUD fuel more if
we did not spend so much time discussing (arguing) about fuel
efficiencies being worse because charcoal is made in TLUD stoves.   CO2
negative (bury biochar) vs CO2 neutral (burn trees to ash) vs CO2
positive (coal).   Wow,   We could argue this forever and never get to
the business of making TLUD stoves, meanwhile the LPG stoves can blaze
away being CO2 positive.)

3.   That is an impressive list:

> The City of Ulaanbaatar
>
> MCC/MCA Mongolia (USA)
>
> Asian Development Bank
>
> World Bank
>
> Xac Bank (pronounced '_kh_ass')

And none of them can get their act together to divulge about a
SUCCESSFUL project???   Get some of these 100,000 stoves out of Mongolia
and into the hands of SeTAR and Aprovecho and Jetter and even to me or
others.   And put a TINY bit of cash behind it to get their success
documented.   Certainly the ADB and WB ought to understand that?
No.   I doubt it.   And the academics cannot seem to see beyond "peer
reviewed" publications that come out months and months later.   Crispin
should not have to do this announcement of important results by himself.

4.  And as for the GACC Stove Inventory refusing to include the coal
stoves, that inventory exists but is not functional (useful) yet.    If
it is, let's have somebody explain how they have used it thus far.

5.  For everyone:   The Thread (Subject) of this series of messages is
TLUD Use.    And then the next words can say where or how.  But if the
where is Mongolia instead of the previously name Vietnam, then PLEASE
ADJUST THE SUBJECT LINE!!

I am delighted to read about TLUD success in Mongolia.   I just want to
read MORE about it.   THEN we can tell others about it.

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com