[Stoves] Stove Definition

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Apr 30 23:24:57 CDT 2013

Dear Paul

The reason why "Cooking Only", "Heating Only" and "Cooking + Heating" functions are important are as follows:

1: Cooking Only: In this case, for a given amount Fuel consumption, the only useful task performed is Cooking, so the Fuel Efficiency would be calculates as follows:
Fuel Eff. = (Energy to Cook Pot) / (Energy in Fuel Consumed.)

2: Heating Only: In this case, where there is a need for Space Heating, the Fuel Efficiency would be calculated as follows:
Fuel Eff. = (Energy to Heated Space) / (Energy in Fuel Consumed)
I feel it is important to consider "Heating Only" stoves, in that they consume vastly more fuel where they are used.

3: Cooking + Heating: In this case, where there is a need for both a Cooking Capability and a Space Heating Capability, the heat loss from the shell of the stove is beneficial, and it can be sensibly added to the heat that was used for cooking. In this case, the Fuel Efficiency would be calculated as follows:
Fuel Eff. = (Energy to Heated Space + Energy to Cook Pot) / (Energy in Fuel Consumed.)
Note also that when the shell heat loss from such a stove is not needed, it cannot be claimed as a contributor to efficiency. The Test Report Protocol would have to adjust for the expected percentage of annual cooking time when the heating effect would be useful.

Clearly, a "Cooking + Space Heating" stove will likely show an true efficiency that is higher than that of a "Cooking Only Stove" in that it can justifiable claim credit for space heating.  This has important implications for the Stove Designer. For a "Cooking Only" stove, the designer should insulate the shell of the stove, to maximize heat available to the Cookpot and to minimize heat loss through the shell, in that any heat loss through the shell is wasted and the stove gets no credit for it.

With a "Cooking only" stove in the  tropics, the shell heat loss can actually be a disadvantage, simply from a discomfort standpoint.

On the other hand, for a "Cooking + Heating" stove, there is less need for shell insulation, in that the shell heat loss has value.

Note also that a Customer in a region requiring space heating may actually be able to avoid the need for a second stove if he has a "Cooking + Space Heat stove of adequate size. Most likely, however, his "optimal solution" would be two stoves... a smaller Cooking + Space Heating" stove that was sized for cooking needs would be used every day, primarily for cooking, but with extended running, it would provide for extra heating needs. in cold weather, a larger "Space Heating Only" stove would be fired up when the cook Stove heat loss was insufficient for comfort.

Interesting, eh?

Best wishes,

Kevin