[Stoves] LannyPan cooking module and the TLC burner

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 10:43:01 CDT 2013

[Default] On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 09:21:36 -0400,"Lanny Henson"
<lannych at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>In the video where I am cooking in the rain, I feed in wet wood and wet concrete block without loosing flaming combustion or creating visible smoke.

Not wishing to criticise your design,Lanny, as it seems well made and
economical. I do question the way you soak the wood as it is
meaningless unless you establish how much water it has soaked up. Re
wetting logs takes a long time because the surface tension of the
water will not allow re absorption in a short time.

The issue is that boiling water off from a green log is highly
endothermic, the part of the log exposed to the fire cannot ignite
until it starts pyrolysing and this needs a temperature of 230C+. The
moisture content holds the bit of the log to 100C until it is boiled
off and this is what depresses the combustion temperature and prevent
a flame cleanly burning out the Products of Incomplete Combustion,
which then appear as smoke alongside any droplets of water that have
condensed as the flue is cooled.

AJH