[Stoves] LPG subsidy to be removed in Ecuador

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Tue Aug 13 17:05:12 CDT 2013

[I am posting this edited response to questions by Paul Anderson, on his
suggestion.]

President Correa announced plans to end the subsidy, last Saturday: El
Universo, Guayaquil, Ecuador, Domingo, 4 de Agosto, 2013, "Rafael Correa
anuncia fin del subsidio al gas al operar hidroeléctricas",
<http://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/2013/08/04/nota/1242151/fin-subsidio-gas-operar-hidroelectricas>.
Note that the subsidy for "combustibles" (I don't know what percentage of
it is LPG for cooking) costs nearly 4 billion dollars annually.  At $1.60
for 15 kilos, there is, and has been for decades, a thriving black market
in subsidized LPG for commercial use and transportation, as well as for
export (often to country the gas was purchased from).

A friend of my wife's has a small NGO that used to take donated items to
Ecuador, but she is about to shut it down because of the aggressive
actions taken against NGOs the past couple of years.  You can review
donation rules here: <http://www.aduana.gob.ec/pro/donations.action>.
Please note that donations are only exempt from import duties if they are
going to a government agency or to a non-profit who has a valid contract
to provide services for the government.

I know there is interest in biomass in Ecuador.  A few years ago, the
father of a university student asked me if I could get him a GEK kit, but
it proved too complex and costly.  EcoSur in Riobamba makes biomass
briquettes (referenced in a post by Aurea de Andrade), and list member (I
hope he is still monitoring the list) Xavier Cevallos is(was?) in
Guayaquil.

The subsidy for gas has always been the chief obstacle to any alternative
fuel in Ecuador.  Honestly, I would have preferred that the subsidy be
continued indefinitely (perhaps at a more reasonable price), but the
inefficiencies of central management of the petroleum sector have been
forcing the government to purchase gas on the open market, so they are not
just paying opportunity costs.

This electrification scheme seems a bit pie-in-the-sky, so I am not sure
it will ever happen.  The LPG shortages are real and immediate, so there
is some pressure mounting to fix it or find reliable and economical
alternatives.