[Stoves] LPG subsidy to be removed in Ecuador

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Wed Aug 14 15:31:04 CDT 2013

Another step in the government's marketing campaign (I used to publish a
small newspaper, so the process intrigues me).  For those of you who are
considering a major product launch, take notice. (Keep in mind, El
Universo is a major opposition newspaper, though recently editorially
hobbled but not totally controlled.  I have not been following this story
in the government owned media.)

<http://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/2013/08/14/nota/1288706/sube-demanda-cocinas-induccion-calentadores>

Important points to consider, when converting to electric cooking
appliances in Ecuador and many other countries, is that electrical service
is often a hit-and-miss affair, and service is often acquired(stolen)
using appliance cord.  I hope to see that addressed in upcoming articles,
probably coinciding with the next big service interruption or tragic
electrical fire (which will compensate for the reduction in the number of
tragic tank explosions).

I am not opposed to conversion to electric (it is still preferable to a
wholesale switch to biomass*), I just don't have confidence that the
government can meet the increased demand for electricity and provide it
reliably.

*(My great fear is the government turning to biomass fueled power plants.
I see biomass best used as a local solution, where appropriate, i.e. a
sustainable supply without increasing ecological damage.  When it is
proposed as a national, regional or global solution, mayhem ensues.  What
little I have seen on state television hints that the current preferred
solution will be patriotic reductions in energy use, which brings us back
to biomass stoves.)