[Stoves] LPG subsidy to be removed in Ecuador

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 23:14:47 CDT 2013

Dear Andrew,
there is no need for anything to get ugly if urban households switched to
biomass.  If one used stoves having electrically driven fans, biomass can
be burned as cleanly as kerosene or LPG. If more electricity is going to be
available in Ecuador, it can be used for briquetting agricultural waste.
This has now grown into a thriving industry in India. The briquette makers
buy agricultural waste from farmers and sell the briquettes to
industries as boiler fuel. If an industry uses biomass briquettes instead
of fuel oil as boiler fuel, it saves almost 60% of the fuel cost. A company
of which I am the Chairman of the board, sells large stoves of this type to
restaurants, which have switched over from LPG to using biomass briquettes.
The cities themselves produce a large amount of combustible waste like
cardboard, waste paper and leaf litter. Richard Stanley's method of
briquetting can be used for turning urban waste into fuel briquettes for
use in urban household stoves.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--