[Stoves] "adam-retort" good feed back for biochar production in Cambodia

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Aug 16 16:56:55 CDT 2013

Rogerio and (now 2) lists      [The 14 papers certainly don't all apply to biochar - but in total they apply more to the biochar list than the stove list)

1.   Thanks for the cite you gave below  (with a free version of a nice paper).  I enjoyed this (#12 below) and your article with Rob Bailis (#14).   A few questions:  A year or more has passed since you wrote this.  Any cogeneration started yet in Brazil?  (for others,  Rogerio lives where charcoal-making is big business - the largest in the world).  Any recommendations on stove or biochar ideas in the other dozen papers?  For instance can you conceive that there may be more cooking with electricity as users trade in (barter) biomass for electrons?  (and maybe getting some char back also)    You are thinking more of the char going to steel mills, but could there be competition for using the char (as biochar) in soils (given future carbon credits?)

2.  I remember hearing about this special issue on charcoal, but this was my first chance to see the wide range (below). A lot of good material here.  Unfortunately all priced at $31.50 per paper.  If any other authors are reading this, I hope they can do as did Rogerio and supply an early author's draft.   Obviously, both lists would benefit from anything more that can be said about any of the papers. My impression is that biochar  and char-making stoves were not  major considerations for most papers, but most can have some bearing on both these lists

  Rogerio - how about giving a short summary of Paper #14  (Bailis - or a reprint).  And anything else that might assist the stoves and biochar lists.

1
What role will charcoal play in the coming decades? Insights from up-to-date findings and reviews
Pages 73-74
Adrián Ghilardi, Tuyeni Mwampamba, Gautam Dutt
2
Dispelling common misconceptions to improve attitudes and policy outlook on charcoal in developing countries Review Article
Pages 75-85
Tuyeni H. Mwampamba, Adrián Ghilardi, Klas Sander, Kim Jean Chaix

► Charcoal data are distorted because they are lumped with those of other wood fuels. ► Misconceptions perpetuate five myths that harm perceptions about charcoal. ► Myths can misguide interventions and policy response to the charcoal sector. ► Myths narrow scope of charcoal discussions to an environmental niche. ► Debunking myths is necessary to appreciate true potential of charcoal.
3
The environmental impacts of charcoal production in tropical ecosystems of the world: A synthesisReview Article
Pages 86-94
Emmanuel N. Chidumayo, Davison J. Gumbo
► The contribution of charcoal to deforestation in the tropics is less than 7%. ► Charcoal production most frequently results in forest degradation. ► Most charcoal areas have the potential for rapid forest recovery. ► Enhancing charcoal policies' legitimacy and effective implementation is needed. ► Charcoal can contribute to poverty reduction and environmental sustainability.
4
Formalisation of charcoal value chains and livelihood outcomes in Central- and West AfricaOriginal Research Article
Pages 95-105
Jolien Schure, Verina Ingram, Maam Suwadu Sakho-Jimbira, Patrice Levang, K. Freerk Wiersum
► Informal rules dominate charcoal chains in Central- and West Africa. ► ‘Informal’ means access to many, overexploitation and little tax revenues. ► West Africa has more cross-sectorial formal mechanisms. ► Formal charcoal institutions risk reinforcing unequal distribution of benefits. ► Successes build upon decentralised management, tax incentives and reinvestments.
5
Forest management and economic rents: Evidence from the charcoal trade in MadagascarOriginal Research Article
Pages 106-115
Bart Minten, Klas Sander, David Stifel

► Margins are higher in regulated charcoal compared to unregulated agricultural trade. ► Charcoal traders with more government connections have greater access to rents. ► Efforts to reform policies through licensing must take rents into account.
6
Enabling reforms: Analyzing the political economy of the charcoal sector in Tanzania Original Research Article
Pages 116-126
Klas Sander, Clemens Gros, Christian Peter
► Transformation of anecdotal evidence into documented facts and figures. ► Using established methodology for charcoal sector analysis. ► Verification that real political power lies with powerful groups outside government.
7
Charcoal, livelihoods, and poverty reduction: Evidence from sub-Saharan Africa Review Article
Pages 127-137
Leo C. Zulu, Robert B. Richardson
► We review charcoal impacts on poverty reduction in Africa on four dimensions. ► Charcoal is vital sector for energy, economy, poverty reduction; but is neglected. ► Benefits: vital rural-cash safety nets; urban income, affordable, reliable energy. ► Charcoal has negative environmental, health, social, livelihood, and power impacts. ► Needed: pluralistic policy, regulated sustained use, pro-poor, incentives, advocacy.
8
Changing land management: A case study of charcoal production among a group of pastoral women in northern Tanzania Original Research Article
Pages 138-145
Ramona J. Butz
► Dependence on fuelwood for energy is placing pressure on forest resources. ► Charcoal serves as a cash crop for a growing number of women. ► Producers made up 4–6% of the village population in 2005. ► Production is unsustainable over the long term and may lead to forest degradation.
9
Can there be energy policy in Sub-Saharan Africa without biomass? Review Article
Pages 146-152
Matthew Owen, Robert van der Plas, Steve Sepp
► Most energy policies in sub-Saharan Africa prioritise petroleum and electricity. ► Benefits and opportunities offered by solid biomass energy are being missed. ► Efforts to design more biomass-friendly policies encounter government resistance. ► Measures to formalise and modernise the sector could help improve energy policy.
10
The influence of initial fuel load on Fuel to Cook for batch loaded charcoal cookstovesOriginal Research Article
Pages 153-157
Samuel Bentson, Dean Still, Ryan Thompson, Kelley Grabow
► Fourteen charcoal cook stoves were tested in the laboratory using a modified WBT4.1.2. ► Fuel to Cook was found to be dependent on the initial fuel load. ► All stoves were found to have similar Fuel to Cook when they were loaded with their minimum fuel loads.
11
Opportunities, challenges and way forward for the charcoal briquette industry in Sub-Saharan AfricaOriginal Research Article
Pages 158-170
Tuyeni H. Mwampamba, Matthew Owen, Maurice Pigaht
► Briquette producers are struggling to stay productive despite existing opportunities. ► Slow uptake of briquettes stunts industry growth due to insufficient sales volumes. ► Misconceptions of briquettes' potential and non-conducive policies contribute. ► Expanding to non-traditional markets and applications is required for growth. ► Active role of government pressed on by an association of producers is direly needed.
12
Cogenerating electricity from charcoaling: A promising new advanced technology Original Research Article
Pages 171-176
Rogério Carneiro de Miranda, Rob Bailis, Adriana de Oliveira Vilela
► Traditional charcoal making through batch pyrolysis loses 50% of feedstock energy. ► Losses occur because high-energy pyrolysis gases escape unutilized. ► Pyrolysis gases could be used to cogenerate heat and electricity. ► The technology reduces emissions of GHG, generates bio power, and boosts income.
13
Estimating the spatial distribution of woody biomass suitable for charcoal making from remote sensing and geostatistics in central Mexico Original Research Article
Pages 177-188
Miguel Ángel Castillo-Santiago, Adrián Ghilardi, Ken Oyama, José Luis Hernández-Stefanoni, Ignacio Torres, Alejandro Flamenco-Sandoval, Ana Fernández, Jean-François Mas
► Satellite imagery and ground data were used to map biomass suitable for charcoal. ► The spatial autocorrelation helped improving the accuracy of estimations. ► Results are a key milestone in planning for sustainable charcoal.
14
Innovation in charcoal production: A comparative life-cycle assessment of two kiln technologies in BrazilOriginal Research Article
Pages 189-200
Rob Bailis, Charissa Rujanavech, Puneet Dwivedi, Adriana de Oliveira Vilela, Howard Chang, Rogério Carneiro de Miranda
► Brazil is the largest charcoal producing nation using primarily hot-tail kilns. ► Metal “container kilns” are being tested as a more efficient alternative. ► Container kilns allow the use of pyrolysis gases for production of heat and power. ► LCA shows container kilns perform better in energy, GHG emissions, and water use.

3.   The cite below gives a $31.50 bargain.