[Stoves] Saving the WBT

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Tue Aug 20 08:54:01 CDT 2013

Dear Ron,

See below:

<snip>

All we need to do is have all start with the same Energy from a biomass and
use that as a baseline when comparing stoves. Oven dry weight energy value
minus the char in the pipe. When burning wet (real) biomass we just report
that in the 6 Box reporting sheet so a lower (or higher if the water
reaction) results can be explained.

    [RWL:  I see no way testing can start with "same energy", unless this
means some average energy density (such as 18 MJ/kg).  But this varies with
moisture content and the variation with different fuels is all over the
place.  I gave a cite for a paper on this last week where Tom Miles was a
co-author.  Huge variations and complexities.

[Frank >] I agree it should be sent to a lab with the equipment that
actually measures the energy but using 'look up' tables is done now and is
available for those not having the lab equipment. We just all need to be
using the same table and make sure it closely represents the fuel we are
using.

When the fuel is wet we have all that FREE energy from the catalyst that
will evaporate it IN the stove body.

     [RWL:  Sorry.  I mistrust the idea of free energy - and especially with
the words "catalyst" and "evaporate in".  Can you give an example or a cite?

[Frank >] Free because it's not used in the calculations for energy
efficiency. And is used as improving and controlling the pyrolysis process.

In fact, if one puts a cup of water in a stove the evaporated steam hitting
the pot will increase the water temperature in the pot. Unless the steam
lowers the temperature of the secondary, or otherwise interferes with the
secondary combustion,

     [RWL:  Both seem likely][Frank >] Agree

it will add to the energy heating the water. It cost nothing to evaporate
the water.

     [RWL:  I think it WILL cost something.  If not, we would see a lot more
of it than we do.  I know of only one stove with an added water supply - and
don't think it is commercial.  Anyone?
[Frank >] Cost means the depletion of the energy fraction we use to
calculate efficiencies.

As for coal: I have not thought how this would work and know little about
burning coal. I would think it much like adding char to a rocket stove?
There being little secondary combustion and the stove body getting very
hot(?)

     [RWL:  Cooking with coal is a horrible idea - and China has the
environment to prove it.  Yes - using a rocket stove to combust char is as
bad an idea as in a TLUD.   Jikos aren't all that great but they are
infinitely better than a rocket.

[Frank >] I would like to know more about cooking with coal. I can't even
find coal around here to experiment with!

 [Frank >] Thanks Ron,

[Frank >]

Frank

Frank Shields