[Stoves] Characteristics of biochar was Re: [biochar] grassifier & cedar chip char

Josh Kearns yeah.yeah.right.on at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:36:57 CST 2013

Crispin (or others) can you clarify this a little more - do the
Glaser-Steiner wood gasifier and BBQ charcoals test high for PAHs because
of post-manufacture additives? With BBQ charcoal, that could be lighter
fluid, which could be naptha (-lene)?

Also, they reference an EPA method for PAH determination. Would that
involve some kind of solvent extraction? If so is it an environmentally
relevant analytical method? I assume folks have seen this paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22321025

suggesting leaching of PAHs and dioxins from biochars should not constitute
an environmental problem.

Thoughts?

JK

--
Josh Kearns
PhD Candidate, Environmental Engineering

Director of Science
Aqueous Solutions
www.aqsolutions.org

Mobile: 720 989 3959