[Stoves] Characteristics of biochar was Re: [biochar] grassifier & cedar chip char

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:50:40 CST 2013

Dear Josh

I understand that the PAH's are manufactured from the CHO+H2O in the wood
fuel.

The right people to comment on the PAH extraction are Philip Lloyd and
Frank. They measure these things. Philip, don't you have a PAH meter of some
kind?

>.and BBQ charcoals test high for PAHs because of post-manufacture
additives?

Kingsford has 6 ingredients but I am pretty sure that is not the source of
the PAH content. They are pretty innocuous. Charcoal is not.

>With BBQ charcoal, that could be lighter fluid, which could be naptha
(-lene)?

That is a possibility if there are 'rapid lighting' edges. Jellied
petroleum, sometimes.