[Stoves] combustion of char

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sun Feb 24 19:55:45 CST 2013

Dear Crispin
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
  To: 'Discussion of biomass cooking stoves'
  Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:25 PM
  Subject: Re: [Stoves] combustion of char

  Dear Kevin

  Dr Antal has posted here before not so? Maybe he will respond.

  # He was a List member of either stoves or Biochar Lists at one time, but I don't recall seeing postings from him lately.

  The pressure involved is about 6 bars and the yield 45-50%.

  >…many of the tar components would not decompose, and would remain with the char.

  But remember that pressurising the system also makes it easier for the reactions to take place, breaking thing down. Be prepared to be surprised.

  # High temperatures would tend to favor degradation of compounds, and high pressures would tend to favour formations of lower total volume. For example:

          2 CO + O2 ---> 2 CO2

   Pressure favours the reduction from 3 volumes to 2 volumes. I don't know enough Organic Chemistry to give you an example using more complex molecules.

  >I am also guessing that when such charcoals were burned, they would be smoky.

  You are blaming the fuel for the performance of the stove! J

  # Heavens no!! I wouldn't do that!! :-) What i meant to say that the "high yield charcoal" may burn in a smoky manner in a stove designed to burn "ordinary charcoal."

  If a charcoal stove is well made it does not smoke, tars or no tars.

  # Of course not!! :-)

  Best wishes,

  Kevin

  stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org