[Stoves] Example of missed opportunities was Re: is this new?

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon Jan 21 13:41:48 CST 2013

Dear Paul

Once upon a time, a Traveller was driving along through a rural District. He noticed that most stop signs, Billboards, Barn Doors, etc were shot full of bullet holes, but that the bullet holes were in the exact center of every circle! He was amazed at the shooting accuracy, and stopped at the local Barber Shop to find out the identity of the Marksman. When he inquired of the Barber, the Barber replied:

"That's the Village Idiot. He shoots first and draws the circle after."

This silly little story contains an important lesson:
"When wishing to develop a new product, first find what The Market wants, and then build The Product around it."

The Patent Literature abounds with brilliant solutions to problems that the World does not want solved. They "help the Little Old Lady to cross the street, when she does not want to cross the street." Many of the Inventors of such products end up broke and disillusioned.

As it relates to stoves, what does Fatima in Egypt, Michelle in Haiti, Joe Pattagoniak's Wife in an Inuktatuck Igloo or Mohammed's Wife in a Grass Hut in Timbuktu want in a stove? Obviously, different stoves are required for different applications.

So, we can configure clever stoves that turn our creative cranks and are fun to make, and we can develop our own testing procedures that show how clever our clever stoves are, and with such carefully structured tests, we can prove that "My clever stove is more clever than your clever stove." How does that tie in with what Fatima et al, AKA "The Market", wants?

If the test is based on the time to boil a covered pot, but the Customer uses an uncovered pot... fail. If the Customer uses a covered pot, but the test uses an open pot... fail. If the Customer wants heat loss to the living space, and the test penalizes stove shell loss... fail.

Some forms of "Improved Stove" represent the kind of progress one gets when one moves the outhouse closer to the back door in the Winter, and further away in the summer. We can build a stove venting into the living space that has "an 80% reduction in CO, Tars, BC, and ash emissions" and call it an "Improved stove." Such stoves will kill people living in Homes built to First World standards. Certainly, there are Markets for which such stoves are appropriate, but when tests are structured to require ALL stoves to meet the requirements of a small section of the total stove market, then progress in the remainder of the Market is seriously retarded.

A stove producing char is fabulous when the Customer wants char, but when the Customer does not want char, it is a fail. A stove that boils water quickly is great if one wants to sterilize water, but it is a fail if the Customer wants to bake bread, or to simmer a stew for 2 hours without having to attend the stove every 10-15 minutes.  What is the purpose of a "Stove"? What does the Customer want it to do? Perhaps the Customer wants an "Improved 3 stone fire that burns 5/7 as much wood, so that she doesn't have to find wood on the weekend? The main requirements of a stove are:
1: It cooks food and/or heats the living space
2: It is fuel efficient.
3: Products of combustion do not harm the Occupants of the living space.

Why aren't stoves rated on the basis of:
1: ... grams of fuel to cook the food or foods for which the stove was designed?
2: ... stove heat loss to the living space?
3: ... whether or not the level of products of combustion within the living space were acceptable or not.

Certainly, other "stove factors" are important, such as initial cost, life, expected life, etc, but dealing with the above factors in a way that was meaningful to the Customer would certainly be helpful.

There is a Classic Story about the Drunk crawling along in the gutter one night,  under a streetlight.
The Cop asks "What are you doing"?
Drunk says:  "I lost my cell phone and am looking for it."
Cop asks: "Where did you lose it?"
Drunk says: "On the other side of the street."
Cop asks: "Why are you looking here?"
Drunk says: "Because there is more light here."

I see interesting parallels in stove testing... the tests seem to be set up to give results that are easy to attain in "The Lab", but which are not necessarily reflective of conditions that are important to the Customer in "The Field".

In theory, it is very easy to get Grant Money... all the Applicant has to do is show the Donor that he is the best person to do what the Donor wants done. If a Donor favours a particular Technology, then that particular technology gets favoured. If the Donor favours a business at a particular state of development, then that is the "business state" that will be favoured. Donors don't so much support a given technology, or a state of business development, but rather, they support a "total situation that is most likely to get done what the donor wants done." Clearly, if the Donor wants "Job ABC" done, and the Applicant is superb at "Job XYZ", then the Applicant will not get funded.

Best wishes,

Kevin