[Stoves] on ocean acidification

Mark Bigland-Pritchard / Low Energy Design Ltd mark at lowenergydesign.com
Fri Jul 5 00:21:20 CDT 2013

I wouldn't normally want to post off-topic, but I think it is necessary
that an error be corrected before this thread is put to sleep.

It is scientifically accurate to say that the acidity of the oceans has
increased.

It is well documented that the average pH of the oceans has decreased by
about 0.1.  Because pH is a logarithmic scale, this actually means a 30%
increase in the hydrogen ion activity.  In other words, the acidity has
increased by 30%.  This is basic chemistry, not "nonsense".  (The fact
that carbon dioxide, when dissolved in water, forms carbonic acid, is
also basic chemistry.)

But yes the oceans are alkaline.  The shift in pH is from about 8.2 to
about 8.1.  (Less alkaline = more acidic, wherever you are on the pH
scale.)  People who have dedicated their lives to studying oceanic
ecosystems are saying that even this ostensibly small drop in pH is
impacting on crustacea, corals, calcifying microorganisms and other
highly-calcium-dependent species - and therefore also on the whole
ecosystems which depend on them for food or shelter.  (And remember,
humans are at the top of the food chain in many of those ecosystems.)
That is why this is a serious matter.

mark