[Stoves] Fwd: from K Smith [stove] Smoked out: Coal and health

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 8 08:51:03 CDT 2013

Stovers,

I have recently started to receive Kirk Smith's messages in his personal
[stove] listserv.   Note that it is different from the [Stoves] listserv
(capital S and plural s).  I wonder what messages I (and others) have
missed in the past.   Of course, his focus is on health issues, which
have not been sufficiently addressed in the Stoves Listserv.   Krik, is
there an Archive of your previous messages?

And who else is on BOTH the [stove] and [Stoves] listserv?

(to Tom M. and Erin, how can we address this needed linkage?   I think
that Dr. Smith is appropriately focused on "health + stoves" and does
not need the full "everything + stoves" that is on the Stoves
Listserv.   It is we Stovers who what his "health" element added into
our "everything" medley. )

I am forwarding Smith's message because it is certainly of interest to
us Stovers.   And I add these comments:

1.  The item correctly names coal burning stoves as a problem.   But I
will anticipate Crispin's rely by saying that I agree with Crispin that
there are not bad fuels, just bad stoves.   And that the breakthroughs
about improved coal burning stoves are just starting to become known and
they need further research.

2.  Remember, there are many different types of coal, so look for
successful clean burning for a specific stove with a specific type of
coal, and celebrate and advocate that success, rather than dwell upon
the NON-successes of other stoves with other types of coal.

3.  The GACC needs to embrace the coal stoves as well as the biomass
stoves and the stoves that use "other" fuels like biogas, LPG, etc.

4.  Crispin has experience with coal burning stoves in Mongolia. Some
are TLUDs.   Claims are that some are quite clean burning. GETTING THIS
INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO ALL OF US SHOULD BE ONE OF THE PRIMARY
OBJECTIVES OF THE GACC AND ACESS.  GACC claims to be "stove neutral".
But it is not "stove agnostic".   Time for us all the be more
knowledgeable about coal-burning stoves, and the GACC and ACESS
represent us and have access to funding.

Enjoy Kirk's book review.

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072