[Stoves] Stove Definition

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu May 2 19:49:13 CDT 2013

Stovers,                      I disagree with Ron, but more as "fine
tuning" than as a major disagreement.

On 5/2/2013 5:16 PM, rongretlarson at comcast.net wrote:

>    But  I am only responding because you were following up with
> Lanny.  Taking his last line from below /
>      "Just to confuse things, would you call a pig on a stick, over a
> fire a stove?"/
>
>     I would answer emphatically "no" (as I think we all would), but it
> should be listed among the better (and rarely used) ways to make
> charcoal, whch obviously all stoves should do..

I have long used the term "stove structure" to distinguish where the
cooking is done, as separate from the "heat source."   That is easy for
me because TLUDs are easily seen as heat sources, and sometimes
criticized as not being a "stove" because there might not be an obvious
place to put a pot.

So, in the pig on a stick example, the stick and whatever is holding up
that stick is the "stove structure".   Whether it is a pig or
marshmallows on a stick makes no difference.

Are such stick to be called "stoves"?   No.   Because the heat source is
not defined.   A stove needs to have both the heat source and the stove
structure.

Separating heat source from stove structure is helpful when making
improvements on stoves.   Some improvements such as pot-skirts are stove
structure, and can be used with most of the heat sources. Some
improvements such as in air flows are related to the heat source. but
they do have a physical (structural) appearance, but they are not what I
would call stove structure.

Note:   The 3-stone fire is a stove because of the 3 stones onto which a
pot can be placed.   Take away the stones and you only have a fire and
do not have any stove structure, so a simple fire is not a stove.

I hope this is helpful for some of the discussion.