[Stoves] Stove Definition

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sun May 5 19:40:23 CDT 2013

Dear Erin

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Erin Rasmussen
  To: rongretlarson at comcast.net ; 'Discussion of biomass cooking stoves' ; 'Lanny Henson'
  Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 8:10 PM
  Subject: Re: [Stoves] Stove Definition

  The EcoKalan project in the Phillipines is using a "magic box" cooker with a rocket stove http://eco-kalan.com

  I see no reason why you can't do the same thing with a char making stove.

  # This is a really good point!! "Conventional Testing" basically measures "Energy to the Pot." Improved testing" seeks to measure

  "What fraction of the fuel energy supplied ends up in the pot?"

  # A Testing protocol" that measured "How much fuel energy was supplied to cook a standard" meal"? would enable combining the benefits of fuel efficient stoves and such "magic boxes" or "Retained Heat Cookers."

  # Lanny Henson has been reporting a lot of his cooking tests in terms of "Grams of fuel required to cook a meal", such as pinto beans, rice, ragou, etc.

  Getting a starch or bean started on a gasifier stove, and then using the remaining gasifier energy to finish your breakfast while the cooker is saving you from using your coals to finish cooking your dinner, seems reasonable.

  # I think that it is "Much Better than reasonable!!!" :-) With a good combustion system and a good Retained Heat Cooker design, one could probably easily make a Cooking Stove that was well beyond the best cooking efficiencies of conventional stove systems.

  Best wishes,

  Kevin

  Erin