[Stoves] [biochar] Charcoal as space filler in TLUD reactors

Kevin kchisholm at seaside.ns.ca
Mon May 6 01:17:41 CDT 2013

Dear Paul

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul Anderson
  To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves
  Cc: Kevin ; biochar at yahoogroups.com ; James S. Schoner ; Hugh McLaughlin
  Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2013 6:33 PM
  Subject: Re: [Stoves] [biochar] Charcoal as space filler in TLUD reactors

  Kevin,

  The "charcoal as filler" is not about consuming the charcoal.

  # Sorry, I missed that.

   The charcoal is "almost" non-active in the pyrloysis of the new biomass.   This is a discussion about limiting air flows with a filler that mostly is inactive in environments that are at 650 C without oxygen.

  # Why do you feel it would be advantageous to limit air flow with an inert filler? If the char was significantly larger or smaller than the biomass fuel, it could significantly increase pressure drop through the bed, and would likely reduce maximum flow.

  # Thanks.
       [ Note that I avoid using the word "inert" in this discussion.]

  Best wishes,

  Kevin

  Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"