[Stoves] TLUD and biochar production

Josh Kearns yeah.yeah.right.on at gmail.com
Mon May 6 12:36:52 CDT 2013

Frank -

Whether the upper char is fouled by organics coming off of lower pyrolysis
zone in a TLUD is a function of operating temperature, which is a function
of draft. TLUDs with sufficient draft make some of the best char out there.

http://www.wcponline.com/pdf/October2012Kearns.pdf

The trick is to keep the draft high enough, and thus the char bed hot
enough, to not condense tars during the burn.

We looked at herbicide uptake using pine pellet char from a 1-gal natural
draft "Toucan". Char from the bottom layer had about 35% greater sorption
capacity for herbicide than char taken from the top layer. We have not
measured, but I would speculate this difference to decrease in a high-draft
scenario.

Josh

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Frank Shields <frank at compostlab.com> wrote:

> Dear Stovers,
>
> It seems that a TLUD would make poor quality biochar. There are only two
> hot
> spots. One is the flame front and the second the flame heating the pot. As
> the flame front migrates down through new biomass volatiles come off and
> hit
> cooler conditions above in the left over char where I would think
> condensation of organics would occur. This is good as a cleaner gas goes up
> to the secondary air to combust and heat the pot. But the char is left with
> tars. This could be better for used as charcoal for other cooking but would
> make very poor biochar for the garden - if this is what happens.
>
> Regards
>
> Frank
>

> Thanks
>
> Frank Shields
>
> BioChar Division
> Control Laboratories, Inc.
> 42 Hangar Way
> Watsonville, CE  95076
>
> (831) 724-5422 tel
> (81) 724-3188 fax
> frank at biocharlab.com
> www.controllabs.com

Josh Kearns
PhD Candidate, Environmental Engineering
University of Colorado-Boulder
Visiting Researcher, North Carolina State University

Director of Science
Aqueous Solutions
www.aqsolutions.org

Mobile: 720 989 3959