[Stoves] the price of bottled gas

Christina Espinosa c_espinosa1 at u.pacific.edu
Thu May 9 14:02:05 CDT 2013

Dear Andrew and Crispin:

Andrew thanks for sharing. Here is an IMF report that might be of interest
on fuel subsidies:
http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2010/wp10202.pdf

I have also read about smuggling of cylinders across borders (even when no
subsidy is present).

I have read that some countries with fuel subsidies are trying to re-target
the subsidies to the families that need it. Here is an example in El
Salvador:
http://www.pro-savings.org/en/projects/prosavings-el-salvador-fedecredito

Crispin:

We came across this issue in our survey design in Guatemala of which we
surveyed 300 households. We used almost 10 of our 50 questions to try and
capture that data. We looked at:

1. Primary Fuel
2. Secondary Fuel
3. Percentage used of each fuel (this was a bad question)
4. How are the fuels used differently
5. How much money do you spend on each fuel per week (LPG & wood...question
only for households purchasing wood or LPG)
6. How long does a 25lb tank of LPG last
7. How much wood is purchased or collected per week, and if you purchase
wood how much to you pay for the quantity you purchase.

Some of the questions we asked will have to be changed for further surveys
in order to collect better data. This is an important topic to discuss when
completing survey design so that data can be accurately collected.

Thanks,

Christina

Christina Espinosa
University of the Pacific '10