[Stoves] Green Steam Engine

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed May 15 10:25:04 CDT 2013

Dear Bryce

I couldn't find his claim for 24% efficiency, but it seems to be very high. I calculate that the useable energy in the steam is less than 3%.

His Horsepower claim also seems high. At 50 psig steam and 18 cubic feet per minute, I calculate the engine could develop a maximum of about 2 HP,  less than 1/2 of what he claims.

System heat losses from the engine will be excessive. Actual engine mechanical efficiency will probably be less than 50%
Actual HP would likely be about 1 HP.

18 Cubic feet per minute of 50 psig steam = 2.73 Lbs/Min would require a net heat input to the steam of about 1,150 BTU/Lb or 3,140 BTU/Min, or 188,370 BTU/Hr. If the Boiler was 80% efficient, fuel input would be about 235,463 BTU/Hr.
If the Boiler had a Char Producing Burner, with say 50% of the wood energy leaving as char, the input fuel energy would then have to be about 471,000 BTU/Hr.

Wood input would have to be about 471,000/8,640 = 54.5 pounds per hour.

That seems like a lot of bone dry wood for 1 HP.

Perhaps someone could review my calculations?  I get nervous when differences are that great.

Also... the Green Steam engine has a lot of moving parts. The temperature of 50 psig steam is about 297 F. It is hard to imagine the O-Rings lasting very long at these temperatures.

Best wishes,

Kevin