[Stoves] Natural draft TLUD w/ secondary air slot

Francesco Tortorici francescot at gmail.com
Thu May 23 11:40:46 CDT 2013

Jonathan,

Great pictures, thanks for the narrative.

In regards to "*How do we get around this limiting factor in our
educational system*?"  I suggest that one finds an interested science
teacher at your local high school.  I worked with one this past semester
who had me come in and do a one hour "class" on gasification,
micro-gasifiers, biochar, etc with an emphasis on appropriate stoves to
address the 500 million daily three stone fires.  This was a class of
approximately 25 students from the 11th and 12th grades.  A couple of days
later it was followed up by an afternoon lab where they teamed up to make 8
micro-gasifers that we burned and cooked lunch on.  He had the students
collect the materials necessary and supplemented them with cans he was seen
taking from the trash containers on campus.

The level of interest and questions impressed me.  I was asked "if the
biochar could be used to filter water when they go camping?"   I had an
Anderson Champion stove with me and another student asked "Do you know what
the working conditions are for the people manufacturing them in India?"
 The teacher tied this all in to his class because they were discussing
resources, agriculture, etc.

A couple of days after the class I asked the him how were the 2 days
received?  His reply was that he had to spend the entire next class talking
about biochar, the developing world and potential uses in the USA.  He
concluded by saying that some of the students took their stoves home and
cooked part of dinner on them.  So that by these results it was an enormous
success.

Find a teacher.  Many are looking at ways to stimulate their students.
 Show me any student that doesn't want to play with fire and build
something as a team of 2 or 3 working together.  By the way the class
was composed of an equal number of boys and girls.  I had fun.  They had
fun and that to me is the key to success.

Francesco