[Stoves] Specifics about advancement of TLUD stoves Re: fan expertise?

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun May 26 06:28:10 CDT 2013

Dear all,   This is a different and more specific reply to Otto's message.

I see four things that will greatly advance the position of
micro-gasifier stoves, specifically the TLUD stoves.   I am working on
all four of them.

1.  Prove that stove users will accept TLUD gasifier stoves (at
reasonable price, but this is not about price.) and (with a reasonable
supply chain for appropriate fuels, but this is not about fuels) :

We lack meaningful studies that show that TLUD stoves (when available
and with fuels available) are accepted by "typical" cookstove users in
any significant segment of the population.   We need some documentation
that xx number of TLUD users (out of yy number of households that
seriously tried TLUD stoves) are still using the stoves zz percent of
the time for their cooking, and this is over time periods that are
checked again and again each few months.    Comments from users should
be reported.

Start small, and do it well.   The money for the bigger studies will
follow success with the small numbers.    This is NOT about sales.
This is about sustained usage.

We are working on this topic at Awamu in Uganda with the Quad TLUD
stove, but no results to report at this time.    Is anyone else doing
such studies?

2.  Compilation of past results and further data collection about
emissions and efficiencies of TLUD stoves.  Some TLUD have had major
success.   And others "suck".   Which ones and why?   We seek data from
the stove testing centers.   We also will do further work at Stove Camps
in the coming 3 months.

3.  Prove the capacities to produce sufficient numbers of TLUD stoves
with excellent functioning.   The response must be credible for numbers
of many 10s of thousands for stoves per year.   20 tinsmiths seated in a
factory is not sufficient proof.   Prof. Nurhuda has shown that metal
stamping can produce his TLUD stoves with good quality.   I do not doubt
that capacity worldwide could be sufficient when demand is there, but
with the goal of creating in-country jobs, for most situations "proof"
is still not in hand.

4.  Bring the price below US$10 for the low-end products that are still
functional about emissions and efficiencies.    I am working on this and
I hope to report about it at the July stove camp at Aprovecho where TLUD
stoves are a focal issue.

Note that I did NOT add on having different TLUD stoves such as the ones
with fans like Ron is discussing.   When they become available, that
will be wonderful.  But then such stoves will still need to be
considered regarding # 1 and #2 and #3 above. They might be the
breakthrough for gaining acceptance, or lower emissions, or whatever.

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com