[Stoves] Making smoke in 2013?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 10:17:55 CST 2013

Dear Paul

I find this sentence odd so perhaps you can explain it a little further:

>And TLUDs are not intended to be charcoal burners.

I am not sure this is true. The TLUD's used in the Ulaanbaatar clean air
programme are definitely intended to burn char and they do it very well.
More than 100,000 of them have been sold just in that city.

I am drawing a distinction between the devices that burn high and low carbon
fuels, basically. I hear you saying that biomass burning TLUD's aren't
designed to burn char but that is the choice of the designer, not a
'feature' of TLUD's. If you change the superficial velocity of the air
supply it changes from one to the other.

Is it possible that here are more TLUD's burning char (high carbon) than
there are TLUD's making it? It would be interesting if that was the case,
right?

I know there are reasons provided for making and saving the char and a whole
enthusiast sector devoted to the matter, however it would be unfortunate if
the acronym TLUD was tied to only one form of combustion, while the world
merrily went ahead with two.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks