[Stoves] Fwd: Re: Shields E450c as a way to test char-making stoves (attn: GACC testers)

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 16:18:02 CDT 2013

Dear Paul

Testing centres could report the energy consumption separately it the
customer wants to pay for the tests involved.

It is that simple.  The only thing that is going on and on is the desire by
some to figure out a way to give a stove energy credits for energy it has
consumed.

I personally see no problem working out the energy content of remaining fuel
- just measure it. E450 is one method and probably not a very precise one.
Let's see what trials bring OK?

Stove tests used to date have always tried to estimate the energy content of
fuel remaining. There is nothing new here. But there problem, as you know,
is that the energy consumption was being used as a proxy for the fuel
consumption.

Anytime you want to know the energy consumption, just ask and it shall be
given. If the test involves expense, expect a small additional bill.

What change do you propose as being needed for char producing stoves?
Stoves have always produced char and the energy content was calculated (by
estimation). If there is a better method, not problem. I think a bomb
calorimeter is a reliable method. It is not available to everyone. E450
sounds like a better method, unless it is so tied to a particular type of
stove as to make it useless for others.  There are many types of stove
producing various amounts of char of varying quality/energy content.
Whatever method we invest in should be nearly universal, in order to be
useful.

Thanks
Crispin

Dear Paul

 ...snipped...
When it comes to mass of fuel consumed, the energy in it and so on, the lab
is agnostic. There are no holy

stoves and there are no holy fuels. The stove does what it does, emits what
it emits, and consumes

what it consumes. We just report it. Don't shoot the messenger.

Paul replies:  Sorry, but the testing centers do NOT report BOTH the FUEL
consumption and the ENERGY consumption.     A major point of the Shields
E450c method is to show the ENERGY consumption and the ENERGY efficiency.
It is the people who only talk about FUEL (and who avoid acknowledging the
difference concerning energy because of the energy in the charcoal) who are
the ones making the problem continue on and on and on.

When  the statement finally comes about testing procedures and reporting for
pyrolytic stoves that produce charcoal, I hope that the distinction between
energy and fuel is clearly made AND is reported in each report of a stove
tested.

Although gasifiers have existed for a long time, gasifier STOVES (especially
those that yield charcoal) have not.   So some changes are needed in the
reporting of the results.