[Stoves] A doctoral thesis on stoves

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 22 10:44:38 CDT 2013

>Crispin said: An implementation that most will find useful is to extend the burner higher than the top deck as you have done, then have the larger gap, then put a ring of similar height (a little higher) at about the OD of the pot.

Crispin you are a mind reader or maybe you have already done this, because that is exactly what I plan to do with the next potholder prototype. The burner extends above the cooktop about 25 mm and the potholder will be about 12 to 18 mm or about 1/2 to 5/8 taller. (I am decreasing the gap from 25 mm to about 12 to18 mm to help the flow spread out around the pot) and then around the outside parameter of the potholder I will use a band about 25 mm, to trap the dead air.
My cook top extends beyond the pot holder and pot so the "Pot Shell" will have a place to sit. The pot shell is the easiest way to improve a stoves efficiency. Without  the pot shell, my stove would not be able to boil, and then simmer, 35 Kg of beans for 2 hours with only 3 Kg of wood.
I am also working on a multiple pot, potholder that sits on a single burner and is able to direct the heat flow in 2 or 3 different directions. This pot holder will have a 250 mm/10" flat spot above the burner that could be used like a small griddle. Hinged flaps/doors will direct the flow.
Lanny