[Stoves] Trials on TLUD Gas Burners - Counter Current Flow

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Sun Aug 3 22:58:15 CDT 2014

Julien,

You always have such interesting ideas.  I have done a small amount of experimenting with injecting secondary air at an angle as you describe, but I used a much different arrangement.  My interest was how it affected turn-down, so I was looking for getting the air down as far as possible.  Straight down worked best for that.  I also had problems with smoke.  The downward flow seemed not to inject enough air into the wood gas, so I added holes above (method 4).  This helped a great deal.  I see you have no concentrator in the stove and I assume that is because you are relying on the terbulance from the counter flow to mix the gasses.  If I were working on this design, I would try to combine stove 1 with 2 or 3.  This would mean two secondary air entrances, stove 1 being an early secondary air flow, and stove 2 or 3 being the main secondary.  This would do two things, get the flame started burning early and add the main secondary air after the flame is already burning.  This will give extra heat to the secondary flame which will help to create a very hot secondary flame, making up for not preheating the secondary air, and finish burning the large amount of unburned wood gas mixed into the early secondary flame.  This should minimize the smoke and soot on the pot.  It also should provide turn-down if you control the primary air.  My current stove uses this idea of double burning and it works well.  I don't think stove 1's narrower combustor is the problem.  I think not having enough air mixed into the wood gas to make a hot flame and complete the burn is the problem.  Your stove 1 downward air flow will preheat the air as it descends before it turns inward to support combustion.

Good idea to experiment with,

Kirk