[Stoves] Jatropha oil lamp query

Bjarne Laustsen bjarne at kiwlau.com
Tue Aug 26 03:34:45 CDT 2014

Otto
We initially used Jatropha seeds directly as fuel in our gasifier stove.
We stopped that when we found that some of our people when demonstrating
the stoves over longer time, said that they got headache and was not
feeling good.
We then shifted to using pellets made from a mix of Jatropha press cake
and rice husk, mainly half of each on weight basis.

With use of these pellets we have not been having any complains of
headache from people using the pellets and stove.
In such pellets the content of Jatropha oil is also much reduced
compared to Jatropha seeds.
However there can still be some risk involved.
We have therefore also reduced the use of Jatropha press cake in our
pellets.

I believe that there are need for scientific studies of the toxicity of
Jatropha in relation to using it in energy applications.

Yours
Bjarne Laustsen